Thursday, June 3, 2010

Breakfast for Supper

Everyone loves breakfast for supper. In fact, supper is the only time I like breakfast food, because I actually have time to prepare the good stuff, like Eggs Benedict or pancakes, as opposed to the stuff I hate, like toast, cereal, scrambled eggs, etc. On yesterday's episode of Best Recipes Ever, Kary Osmond was making two recipes that are perfect for Breakfast in Bed. They looked crazy good, so I made them for supper tonight.

The first recipe was a variation of the classic Eggs Benedict. (Might I remind you of another awesome version that my husband whipped up on Mother's Day - Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon on Croissants - yum!) Anyway, back to the recipe. Instead of a traditional English muffin (which I never ever use cuz I hate them so much) and Hollandaise sauce (which I love!), this recipe uses homemade savoury waffles and a slightly-spicy cheese sauce.

CHEDDAR & BACON CORNMEAL WAFFLES BENEDICT (I'm too lazy to type out the recipe, so just click on the link)
These were awesome - I used 1/2 mozzarella and 1/2 cheddar in the cheese sauce, and it was very good. (I was a little leary of putting cheese sauce on my eggs, and I do still prefer Hollandaise, but this was better than I expected.) The waffles were great, except that it makes a much larger batch than necessary for our family, so I'd probably half it next time. I put the extras in a ziploc bag in the freezer so we can toast them up whenever we like.
The next recipe was for a tasty little drink called STRAWBERRY LEMON CRUSH. (Again, you can click on the link for the recipe.)
We drank this for dessert after our Eggs Benedict. I found this a tad on the sweet side, but of course it would be easy to tweak it with more fruit or less sugar. And a shot of rum never hurt anybody either.
Pin It!

No comments: