Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tilapia Ceviche

Today is more of a "hearty soup" kinda day (yes, it's April 14, but the temperature is around the freezing mark and there were wind gusts over 50km/hr today!)  But I didn't make soup, I made ceviche.  Ceviche is seafood that is "cooked" by soaking in a citrus juice.  Today I used tilapia and lime juice, after seeing this recipe on "Mexican Made Easy" on the Food Network.  Here's how I made it:

TILAPIA CEVICHE
2 tilapia filets, finely chopped
4 limes, juiced (about 1/2 c.)
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 c. red onion, finely diced
1/4 c. English cucumber, finely chopped
1 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 serrano pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 avocado, diced
2 iceburg lettuce leaves, chopped
salt & pepper

Pour lime juice over fish and cover with saran wrap.  Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.  Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients into a bowl.  Pour fish into a strainer and push to drain off all the lime juice.  Add to the vegetables and stir to combine.  Serve on soft tortillas.

If you can chop vegetables, you can make ceviche!  It's so easy, and it tates so fresh and healthy.  I can almost picture myself sitting at a resort in Mexico eating this delicious tortilla filled with seafood goodness!  Tomorrow I might have to make some hearty soup though.... stupid Saskatchewan weather.
Pin It!

No comments: