Thursday, September 15, 2011

Egg Drop Soup

We took the kids to a Japanese restaurant last weekend, and they loved the Egg Drop Soup.  I had big plans tonight to make my own Egg Drop Soup along with homemade Gyozas (Asian dumplings).  I got half the ingredients together for the dumplings and I went to pick up the remaining ingredients on my way home from swimming class, but alas, there was no ground chicken or wonton wrappers.  So I bought the next best thing... frozen shrimp spring rolls in a box.

Turns out it was an incredibly successful meal!  I whipped together the soup in no time, cooked the spring rolls in the oven, and 14 minutes later, supper was on the table.

EGG DROP SOUP (from Tyler Florence on the Food Network)
4 c. chicken stock (low sodium)
1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp. soy sauce (low sodium)
1 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp. chicken stock
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 green onions, chopped

Bring the stock, ginger, and soy sauce to a boil.  Pour in cornstrach and stock mixture, and reduce heat to a simmer.  Slowly add eggs, stirring the soup constantly.  Add green onions.  Let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.

My daughter insisted on arranging the meal on a plate for the photo.  She makes her mama proud.
Perhaps not the healthiest meal we've ever eaten, but guess what, it was damn good!
Pin It!

No comments: