Friday, October 7, 2011

The only pasta I really like

I generally dislike pasta dishes.  I won't order them at restaurants because they cost the same amount as other main dishes, but they only come with garlic toast.  What a rip off!
A friend of mine gave me a recipe for a pasta dish a few years ago, and it's been my "go to" pasta dish ever since.  Sure, I'll make spaghetti and lasagna and tuna casserole (which we ate last night, and it still baffles me how that is my family's favourite meal!!)  But the only pasta dish I really really really like is this one.

Tonight I made the same basic recipe, but instead of asparagus I used brussel sprouts.  I ate these once as a kid, and my sister and I swallowed them whole so we would look polite at the table without actually having to taste them!  Back then they were just boiled, but when I attempted cooking them for the first time last year, my Facebook fans suggested sautéeing them in butter, braising them in white wine, and serving them with bacon.  (My Facebook fans are wonderful!)  Now it's one of my favourite side dishes, and it was the perfect combination for this newly-improved version of my favourite pasta recipe:
KATHY'S PASTA
10 bacon slices, chopped
8-10 brussel sprouts (chop the bottoms off, discard the outer leaves, and then chop into quarters)
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
butter
white wine
salt & pepper
1/2 jar alfredo sauce
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
cooked pasta (enough for 4-5 people)
fresh tomato, diced

In a frying pan, brown the bacon and then set aside.  Remove almost all of the bacon grease from the pan, then add some butter along with the brussel sprouts and mushrooms.  Brown the vegetables for a few minutes and then add some white wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping up all the brown bits.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender.  Season wtih salt & pepper (optional - I didn't use any S&P).  Stir in alfredo sauce and parmesan cheese and heat through before pouring over pasta.  Serve pasta on a plate and then garnish with fresh tomatoes.
Serve that up with a side of garlic toast, and you owe me $15!

Pin It!

No comments: