Thursday, September 16, 2010

Perogy Casserole

Growing up on the Prairies, I've come to respect the perogy. If you're from Saskatchewan, I think it's technically impossible not to know someone whose grandma makes the best perogies ever. Buying them at the store is sort of an embarrassment - I've never attempted to make them myself, but you can usually find a school fundraiser or a kindly "Baba" who will hook you up with the real deal!

A friend suggested that I make a perogy casserole, and tonight I finally had the ingredients on hand. I couldn't find the actual recipe she sent me, but I found lots on the internet and they all seem to follow the same guidelines - perogies, mushroom soup, onions, ham, cheese, etc. Here's how I adapted it a little to make it my own:

PEROGY CASSEROLE
20-24 frozen perogies
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 onion, diced
4-6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 can mushroom soup
1/2 c. milk
grated cheddar cheese

Lay perogies in a casserole dish and sprinkle frozen peas overtop. Sauté onion in a little butter until golden. Spread over perogies. Cook bacon and then sprinkle over the perogies. Combine milk, soup, and dip mix and pour over the perogies. Top with grated cheese, and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

This was spectacular! I can't believe I've lived this long without making this casserole. I don't think I'll eat plain old perogies ever again!
Pin It!

10 comments:

Tina said...

That looks really good, will have to try that this week. Thanks for posting.

Tina said...

I made it and it was delicious! My son did not appreciate the peas, but to bad. Eat it or starve!

Randi said...

Ha! knew it would have to be another Sasky I got this recipe from! I had no luck on all the recipe sites so I just googled perogy casserole and here you are!

Kathy Blais said...

LOL - yes we love our perogies in Saskatchewan!!

Kathleen said...

I made these tonight and my hubby said they were the best perogies he has ever tasted! Thanks for sharing this quick and easy recipe, yet very delish!!

Unknown said...

Looks great and sounds like it's amazing from reading other's comments.

I'm from Winnipeg, and I loved your comment about growing up on the prairies. Here in Winnipeg as well, everyone knows someone who makes perogys!

Can't wait to try this recipe.
Thanks for posting it!

Vicki-Lee said...

Hmmm... This Sounds Very Interesting!!
I Usually Make "BRANCHA" With My Perogies!!
( Got The Recipe From "Grandma June")
I'm Gonna Definitely Give This Recipe A Try!!

1+Twins mom said...

Hello, how is this dish as a make ahead dish? As a busy mom of 3 cooking doesn't start until 9:00pm and I need a dish for a work potluck.

Kathy Blais said...

I haven't tried it as a make-ahead dish, but I imagine it would be fine if you assembled it the night before and kept it in the fridge, then popped it in the oven before your potluck. The perogies would thaw out a bit so it might not take as long to cook.
My husband makes a hashbrown casserole that is similar to this, and he always makes it the night before and then leaves it in the fridge and cooks it the next day.

lisal said...

The chief capabilities associated with a home seem to be to help you keep, prepare yourself and additionally make meals diet and additionally to try and do corresponding projects just like dishwashing.kenmore series 500 washer troubleshooting