Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blueberry or Saskatoon Berry Muffins

I made a batch of blueberry muffins a couple days ago, and they turned out perfectly so I decided to make a double batch this morning.  I used saskatoon berries instead, and just after I finished saying to my daughter that we didn't want to overmix the batter, she held up the bag of brown sugar and said, "Weren't we supposed to put this in?"  Shoot.  So much for not overmixing... I added in the sugar and crossed my fingers that the muffins would still taste good.  Luckily it worked, and my husband told me they were even better than the first batch I made!

I used this recipe but omitted the lemon zest.  I love the almond and vanilla extracts - it adds a really great flavour to the muffins.

BLUEBERRY OR SASKATOON BERRY MUFFINS (this is the double-batch version)
4 c. flour (I used 3 c. all-purpose flour and 1 c. whole wheat flour)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. blueberries or saskatoon berries
1 1/2 c. milk
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2/3 c. oil (you could use applesauce instead to make these low-fat)
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Put berries in a bowl and sprinkle a few tablespoons of the flour mixture over the berries to coat them.  In a separate bowl, combine milk and lemon juice and let it sit for a few minutes.  Add oil, brown sugar, eggs, and extracts.  Mix together, and then pour over dry ingredients.  Stir until just moistened, adding the berries in the last few strokes.  Scoop into a greased muffin tin and bake at 375 F for 15-18 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good muffins. If I made them again I would probably cut back on the sugar as they were a bit sweet and add some cinnamon.