Friday, March 13, 2009

Birthday Celebrations

Tonight is my son's 4th birthday party, and even though he has asked for a Spiderman cake, he is getting a rainbow cake instead. Why? Because that's what Mommy knows how to make.

I can't take credit for the idea... I don't remember where I found it, but I made it a few years ago for my daughter's birthday and I thought it was pretty cute. So we're doing it again.

It's so simple - just follow the directions on a box of Angel Food cake (we use the confetti cake), but before you pour the batter into the cake pan, separate it into 3 bowls and add a different food colouring to each one. Pour the batter into the pan in layers, and bake as directed. I serve it with whipped cream "clouds" instead of icing, because children are hyper enough at a birthday party, and I want their parents to still like me. Please note, when you flip the cake over to cool, a beer or wine bottle will not fit. However, if you delicately balance it on top of a beer bottle, and then gently prop it up with wine bottles and the front of your microwave, then it's all good. Except for the shame you feel when you look at your son's birthday cake surrounded by booze bottles.For my daughter's 6th birthday in January, I adapted my favourite dessert recipe (Banofie Pie) and made some scrumptious cupcakes. I can't give you the cake recipe, because it's my sister's and she'd kill me (check out her website, Gourmet Gâteau.) But use your favourite white cupcake recipe and add some mashed bananas to it. When they are finished baking, squirt in about a tablespoon of this toffee mixture:

1/2 c. butter
14 oz. condensed milk
2/3 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. golden syrup

Bring to a gentle boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly until it has thickened and gotten darker. Top with whipped cream (I add a little vanilla when I whip it up, but no sugar because the toffee is so sweet.) Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
(No booze bottles were used in the preparation of these cupcakes.)
Pin It!

2 comments:

k-e-household said...

I didn't know you were so funny Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

The Subscriptions are working!!! :)
I agree with Kathy, this cake doesn't really need a heavy icing. I have made this cake... thanks to Kathy and we have it with pudding icing. (jello pudding and dreamwhip topping mixed)