Friday, March 27, 2009

I just couldn't wait

I had absolutely no reason to cook today. I had a leftover Subway sandwich for lunch, and we're going out for supper tonight. But I found a recipe for Indian-Spiced Beef with Warm Curry Potato Salad and just had to try it. I have the steak in the freezer, but I don't need to make supper this weekend and I don't like reheated steak, so I just made the potato salad instead. I even made my own mango chutney to use instead of buying a jar at the store. I've never had mango chutney before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think I did alright.

MANGO CHUTNEY
2 c. frozen mango, chopped into small pieces
1 small onion, diced
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. crushed chili peppers
1/2 tsp. Fruit Salsa Mix (from Epicure)
1 tsp. orange zest
1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped

Combine everything (except mint) in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until it is reduced. (I let it reduce while I was making the potato salad, and it was ready by the time I needed to add it.)

The potato salad is very yummy! The recipe doesn't have onion listed in the ingredients, but it mentions them in the directions, so I did use one small onion. I had to cook the chickpea/broth mixture for longer than it suggested, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious. If I end up cooking to steak to serve it with leftoever potato salad in a couple days, I'll update the pictures.
Pin It!

No comments: