Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!

Yes, it's my birthday today. And what a beautiful day for a birthday. The sun is shining, the kids are playing outside, the steaks are barbequing, and the shrimp skewers are waiting for their turn on the grill. I couldn't ask for much more than that!

Tonight's menu is pretty standard for a day like today.... t-bone steaks with barbeque sauce on them, potatoes and onions with some salt and butter cooked in a tinfoil package, and then something a little fancier:

MEXICAN SHRIMP SKEWERS
24 raw shrimp (peeled & deveined)
8 asparagus stalks, trimmed and cut into thirds
1/2 onion, cut into chunks
Marinade:
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. lime juice
2 tsp. Tequila
1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped

Combine marinade ingredients and pour over shrimp. Skewer shrimp, asparagus, and onion on bamboo skewers and grill for a couple minutes on each side.

The shrimp skewers had two slight problems: two much garlic, and the onions didn't cook long enough. So next time, less garlic, no onions (maybe mushrooms would be good instead.)

My husband is upstairs making me a cake right now! For those of you who know him, you'll understand how shocking this is. It appears to be an ice cream sandwich cake, layered with Cool Whip and butterscotch sundae topping. Now that's what I call a birthday cake!!!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Where is the picture of the birthday cake? Or does Dom need to start his own blog to post his creation? The skewers look fantastic!

Kathy Blais said...

I took a picture of Dom with the cake, but as I took it he said, "I better not end up on the internet!"