Saturday, August 29, 2009

Life is good!

Life is good. It's the weekend, it's beautiful outside, friends are coming over for supper, and I got a great recipe in my inbox this week. (You should really sign up for the Canadian Living Dinner Club e-newsletter, and any others that interest you. You can find the link here).

The recipe is for Barbequed Peach Pork Chops, and I'm making a double batch and using Epicure's Sweet & Spicy Mustard (that is now out of stock - boo!) I wanted to use mint instead of basil, but the little stem of mint that I planted in my garden a couple weeks ago just won't cut it, and Superstore was all out (or at least I couldn't find any under the wilted bunches of cilantro and parsley... ewww Superstore, get your fresh herbs in order please and thank you!) I never use fresh basil, but I was pleasantly surprised by the smell of it. I think this recipe will turn out just fine! (Yes, I experiment with bacon and chocolate chips, but I've never used fresh basil!)

I'm making a salad to go with it - I'm not following a recipe, just tossing together a bag of mixed greens, some strawberries and peaches, tomatoes, red onion, and probably some of the leftover basil and the little bit of mint I have in my garden. I'll mix up some olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, and maybe some white balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper for the dressing.
I've got some garden beans to cook up as well, and I'll put some slices of potatoes and mushrooms in tinfoil on the barbeque. For an appetizer, I've got a baguette and 3 different cheeses (smoked gouda, boursin, and goat cheese with blueberry and cinnamon). I think that'll feed us!

Now I'm off to finish the book I'm reading in my beautiful backyard on this gorgeous summer day! Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend! Update: This meal was fabulous! We had a lovely meal on the patio, and our guests brought a delicious cake that had rhubarb, blueberries, and sour cherries baked in the bottom of it. What an awesome Saturday!

Update again: For lunch the next day I put some leftover pork (thinly sliced) and leftover salad in a tortilla. Yum!!!

Pin It!

No comments: