Monday, October 5, 2009

Appetizer Recipes

Tonight in cooking class we made three easy appetizers, and I also made an appetizer/supper the other night that I want to share with you.

I had a square of puff pastry in the freezer, so I decided to make something for supper with it. After a quick look through my fridge, I found frozen shrimp and scallops, bacon, sundried tomatoes in oil, and mozzarella cheese. Voila! A fancy appetizer-supper that is super easy to make!

CHEESY SEAFOOD & BACON PASTRY PUFF
1 square puff pastry, thawed and rolled into a rectangle
3 or 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 c. frozen shrimp and scallops, sautéed in butter
2 tbsp. sundried tomatoes packed in oil, diced
1 c. mozzarella cheese, grated

Lay a row of bacon, seafood, and sundried tomatoes on the puff pastry. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold in the top and bottom of the pastry and seal it along the middle with water. Slice across the top 4 or 5 times to make small openings. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.
The appetizers we made in cooking class were simple but delicious:
STUFFED JALAPENOS
Make a slit along the side of each jalapeno and scoop out the insides. Spoon in some Boursin cheese, and wrap the jalapeno with a slice of bacon. Lay on a baking sheet and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.

CRAB WONTONS
Mix together 1 pkg. cream cheese, 1 can crab meat (drained), some salt & pepper, and 2 green onions (diced). Lay out wonton papers and put 1 tsp. of crab mixture in the middle of each one. Brush sides with water and pinch together. Lay on greased baking sheet, brush/spray with oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese before baking at 375 F for 10 minutes (until golden).

FRIED TOMATOES
Cut some hothouse tomatoes into thick slices. Dip each slice into flour, then egg, then panko breadcrumbs. Fry in oil and butter over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes per side. Serve with sour cream and a sprinkling of crumbled cooked prusciutto and green onions.
So there you go, a whole selection of appetizers to make for your next party!!
Pin It!

3 comments:

mytigerlilies said...

Kathy,
Those appetizers look awesome. It is my mom's 60th bday surprise party on Saturday. Do you think I could make any of these ahead of time? Would any of them freeze or could I make them on Friday and cook/eat them on Saturday night?

Kathy Blais said...

I know the crab wontons would freeze okay (at least that's what our cooking teacher said!) but I don't know about the other ones. You could bread the tomatoes and have them all on a baking sheet ahead of time, and then just fry them up before you are ready to serve them. Same with the puff pastry and the jalapenos... make it up the night before, then leave it in the fridge and bake it just before you want to serve it.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I must try that Seafood & Bacon Pastry Puff. It looks divine.

My sister is coming over so I will suprise her with it. Good thing I always keep puff pastry in my fridge for emergency snacks.