Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Food Revolution #4

I just finished making Jamie Oliver's Chicken Chow Mein, and I can't wait for my husband to get home so we can sit down and have supper! I took a little taste test, and it's pretty darn good. I made a larger batch, so here's my version of it:

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN
3 chicken breasts, cubed and seasoned with salt & pepper
1-2 tsp. ginger paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped
4-6 white mushrooms, quartered
2 baby bok choy (wash and then cut off the bottom so the leaves separate)
6 oz. chow mein noodles
1-2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
Put a pot of water on to boil. Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken and stir fry for a few minutes. Then add ginger, garlic, jalapeno, green onions, cilantro, and mushrooms. When water is boiling, add noodles and baby bok choy and boil for 3 minutes (no longer). While it's boiling, add cornstarch to the wok with about 1/3 c. water from the pot of bok choy and noodles. Stir well and remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce and lime juice. Drain the noodles and bok choy and add to the wok. Stir to combine, and serve on a plate with lime wedges and cilantro.

This recipe was a little complicated to follow, but I read through it a few times and got everything ready beside the stove so I was able to cook it up in probably under 10 minutes. I didn't have any waterchestnuts, so that's why I used some of the bok choy water instead (which likely adds a few more nutrients anyway!) I sort of doubled the recipe, but not the soy sauce at the end since I found yesterday's recipe had too much soy sauce. I will definitely make this again (especially since I bought a whole bag of baby bok choy and don't know what else to do with it!) I hope the rest of the family will like it as much as I do.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Sook said...

Oh good job on the chow mein! Looks delicious!