Sunday, May 9, 2010

Arroz Clavado (Rice with Smoked Sausage and Cheese)

I saw this recipe on My Colombian Recipes and new that it would be fantastic! It was very easy to make, and we doubled the recipe to make a huge batch since our friends were coming over for supper.

ARROZ CLAVADO (this is the double-batch version)
4 tbsp. oil
4 c. smoked sausage, sliced (I used 3 large sausages - wouldn't hurt to use more!)
4 c. rice (I used basmati)
2 c. hogao (see recipe below)
1 tsp. ground cumin
8 c. water
salt
1 c. mozzarella cheese (or any white cheese)
fresh cilantro, for garnish

Heat oil in a large pot, and brown sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in rice, hogao, cumin, paprika, and water. Season with a little salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Fluff with fork, and serve with cubed cheese and cilantro.
Our friends brought over a side dish of black beans simmered with corn, tomato, garlic, and cumin, and we ended up tossing the two dishes together, resulting in a most delicious creation!
To make the hogao, I followed this recipe from My Colombian Recipes:
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 c. onions, diced (the recipe called for scallions, but I used a regular white onion)
2 c. fresh tomatoes, diced
1 garlic cloved, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
Heat oil in a pot and cook onions, tomatoes, and garlic until softened (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, stir in cilantro, and simmer for another 10 minutes until thickened.

This made just under 2 c. of hogao, and so next time I would probably use this same amount and only make the regular batch of rice (instead of doubling it). I think that would just pump up the flavour of this dish a bit. If you were in a rush, I bet it wouldn't hurt to use a can of diced tomatoes instead. (But this stuff is way better!)

All 4 adults and 4 children cleaned off their plates last night - this dish was wonderful!! I absolutely loved the cheese tossed in at the end... it melted a little bit in the warm rice, and it was so delicious. You could play around with this dish in so many different ways.... try adding shrimp or chicken instead of (or along with) the sausage, or try different types of white cheese. I'd definitely recommend the addition of the bean side dish.... it was such a great meal, and I can't wait to make it again!

Pin It!

No comments: