Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Perfect Canada Day Salad

Happy Canada Day!

We just got back from the Canada Day festivities at Government House, and now we're going to our friends' house for a big family barbeque. Our daughter is away at camp for a couple days, so it's just me, my husband, and William. Our day has been kind of crazy so far - I went for a "run" with William this morning (go read my other blog, it'll make you smile), and my husband spent a good chunk of time destroying our fence so that a backhoe can come in and dig up the side of our house. It's such a mess back there - which reminds me, I better pick some mint from my herb garden so I can make mojitos tonight... this backyard mess is stressing me out!

Anyway, I didn't have time to hit the store and pick up a few groceries for my $5000 Salad which I had hoped to take over to the barbeque (I was going to use lettuce, avocado, green onions, tomatoes, bacon, smoked gouda, and the chipotle caesar dressing.) So I looked in the fridge, and I found everything I needed for the *perfect* salad for Canada Day in Regina. The Roughridgers are playing today, so I tossed together a Red & Green salad.

CANADA DAY RIDER SALAD
The green, for the Riders:
1 cucumber, sliced and halved
2 green onions, sliced
2 avocados, sliced

The red, for Canada (or for the Alouettes, if you ask my husband):
1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces

The dressing:
6 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
(I made a little too much dressing, so you likely only need to pour about 1/2 or 2/3 of it over the salad.)
Toss everything together, and go celebrate with friends!

Pin It!

No comments: