Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving Leftover Veggie Cream Soup

It's a mouthful to say, and a mouthful to eat! Yesterday was the day after Thanksgiving dinner, which means dealing with the leftovers. Sometimes that can be more work than the meal itself! I decided to simplify things this year - rather than making an assortment of turkey recipes, I just bought some tinfoil containers and scooped a mini-Thanksgiving dinner into each one: turkey, potatoes, veggies, stuffing, and gravy. I ran out of gravy, so for some of them I just put a spoonful of turkey broth overtop to keep things moist.


The rest of the turkey broth went into the freezer, except for a bit that I used to make tonight's soup. I still had leftover mashed potatoes (about 2 -3 c.), so I bought 2 leeks (you could use onions) and sautéed them in butter till they were soft. Then I added 3 c. broth and brought it to a simmer, then added the mashed potatoes and about 1 c. of the leftover Maple-Roasted Root Vegetables. Once it's heated through, purée with an immersible blender and pour in 1 c. whipping cream.

This soup was delicious, and even the kids loved it. They had no idea they were eating parsnips, rutabaga, and sweet potatoes! It used up lots of leftovers, and it made a huge batch (so guess what we're having for lunch today - leftover leftovers!)
Pin It!

No comments: