Friday, November 19, 2010

Cashew-Crusted Tilapia with Orange Salsa

My son bought me a cookbook at our church's Christmas Market last year, and he's been bugging me to cook from it ever since (I love cookbooks, but they tend to get shoved in the back of my cupboard and never used - the internet is so much handier for recipes!)
Ironically, he chose a cookbook of seafood recipes, which is not one of his favourite things to eat. (He prefers steak and "finger chickens".) Anyway, I found a recipe for Walnut-Crusted Halibut with Orange Salsa that sounded super easy and tasty, so I made it on Monday night (with a few changes).

CASHEW-CRUSTED TILAPIA WITH ORANGE SALSA
2 tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 egg whites + 1 tbsp. water
1 c. cashews, crushed
4 tilapia filets
3 oranges, diced (get rid of as much of the membrane as you can)
3 tbsp. red onion, finely diced
1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Set out three dishes and put the flour, salt, and cayenne in the first one, the egg whites and water in the second, and the cashews in the third. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and a little oil. Coat each piece of fish in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and then the cashews and lay them on the baking sheet. Bake at 450 F for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Serve fish with a scoop of salsa on top.

My kids ate this without any salsa, which I would have found very bland. Cashews are yummy, but they don't exactly add a lot of flavour to fish. The kids missed out though, because the salsa was fantastic! I'm glad they didn't want any because there was really only enough for 2 people (I like a lot of salsa on my fish!) This meal was so easy to make, but next time I would add more salt and cayenne to the flour mixture to try and give the fish a little more flavour. Otherwise, it was a quick and healthy meal!
Pin It!

No comments: