Thursday, August 25, 2011

Iced Coffee

Two of my Facebook friends posted a link to The Pioneer Woman's recipe for Iced Coffee.  I discovered the hard way a few months ago that iced cappuccinos give me wicked migraines, either from the coffee or the sugar, so I thought I would try out this homemade alternative using decaffeinated coffee.  The original recipe makes an enormous batch, but since my fridge is full at the moment and I don't need a month's worth of iced coffee concentrate, I decided to reduce the recipe to 1/8.

ICE COFFEE
4 c. cold water
11.5 tbsp. coffee grounds (just under 1 c.)
ice
cream
sweetener

Combine water and coffee and let it sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours.  Pour through a coffee filter or cheesecloth in a strainer and discard the grounds.  Store liquid in the fridge until cooled.  To make an iced coffee, fill a glass with ice and fill it 2/3 full with coffee concentrate.  Add a splash of cream (you can use whole milk or half-and-half or whatever you like) and sweeten with a couple tablespoons of sweetener (condensed milk, sugar, maple syrup, etc).  Stir well and serve.
This stuff is goooooood!  It ain't healthy, but it tastes delicious and it goes down oh so easy.  Thank goodness I didn't make a larger batch or we could really be in trouble!
Pin It!

No comments: