Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Heaven must smell like this

All the stars were in alignment this morning, and my children were semi-capable of getting themselves through the morning routine without too much prompting from me.  This is a rare and special occasion, which allowed me to whip up a batch of banana bread and pop it in the oven before I walked them to school.  It is Day #4 of winter here in Saskatchewan, and let me tell you, nothing is better than a crisp morning walk with well-behaved children, followed by opening up the door to your house and being enveloped in the warm, comforting smell of banana bread in the oven!
Then a friend came over for tea, and I put a pot on the stove to make us some delicious Chai tea.  Unfortunately I put the wrong burner on, and there was a glass baking dish filled with buns that I had made yesterday sitting on that burner.  KABOOM!  Glass everywhere.  And by everywhere, I mean we'll be finding glass for weeks to come, even after I spent an hour cleaning my kitchen.  The glass even scorched parts of my linoleum when it landed.  Thank God no one was hurt, and thank God I had moved the banana loaf to a part of the kitchen that somehow managed to avoid the shower of glass shards.

Anyway, back to my banana bread.  I used a recipe from Canadian Living and added Skor Bits instead of chocolate chips (because I have overdosed on chocolate since Halloween!)  Here is the final version:

BANANA BREAD WITH SKOR BITS
2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 c. Skor Bits
2 c. ripe bananas, mashed (I used 6 bananas)
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. milk
2 eggs

Sift all the dry ingredients together (including Skor Bits).  Combine the wet ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.  Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes.

This turned out perfectly, and it was delicious.  I like that this recipe doesn't use much sugar, and by using 1/2 c. Skor Bits instead of 1 c. chocolate chips, it really cut down on the sweetness without being bland.  I will definitely use this recipe from now on, and I will always make sure I turn on the correct burner when making tea.
Pin It!

No comments: