Saturday, December 31, 2011

"Fancy" Turkey Panini

I got a panini grill for Christmas, and I couldn't wait to try out a fancy-schmancy turkey sandwich with some of the leftovers from our Christmas meal.  Don't get me wrong, I love a turkey salad sandwich or a hot open-faced turkey sandwich, but this year I had a new toy to play with so I had to jazz up my leftovers a bit!

TURKEY PANINI
Sage & Apple focaccia bread (recipe to follow)
leftover turkey
apple slices
bacon slices
cheese (whatever kind you like - I used smoked Gouda)

Slice the bread and layer your ingredients.  (I also would have added some tomato or spinach if I had any, but I didn't.  Or you could spread a bit of cranberry sauce on the bread if you like cranberry sauce, which I don't.)  Place the sandwich in a panini grill and press down, grilling for 3-5 minutes.
Who knew squishing a sandwich in a grill would make it taste so good?
SAGE & APPLE FOCACCIA (based on this recipe)
1 tbsp. sugar
1 c. warm water
2 pkgs. (4 1/2 tsp.) yeast
1/4 c. Sage & Apple Stuffing Seasoning
1/3 c. olive oil
3/4 c. hot water
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour

Dissolve sugar in warm water and stir in yeast.  Let it sit for 5 minutes.  In another bowl, soften the the Sage & Apple seasoning in olive oil and hot water.  Pour into the yeast mixture and add salt and flour, kneading till it forms a dough.  Let it rest for 5 minutes, then roll it onto a baking sheet lined with cornmeal or parchment paper.  Brush with olive oil and let it rise for 40 minutes.  Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes.  (This bread is also delicious for dipping in balsamic vinegar and olive oil.)
Pin It!

No comments: