Monday, December 12, 2011

Mock Skor Bars

I can't take credit for this recipe, but I will gladly help spread the word about how fantastic it is!
MOCK SKOR BARS
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
24 soda crackers (salted is good, but you can use unsalted too)
2 c. chocolate chips (I used melting chocolate to get it a little bit smoother, but normally I just use chocolate chips.  You can use milk or dark chocolate.)

Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in brown sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Continue boiling for 2 minutes.  Lay crackers in a parchment-lined 9x13" baking dish.  (Please please please use parchment paper!  Otherwise you will have one awful mess to clean up.)  Pour caramel over the crackers and bake at 350 F for 5 minutes.  Top with chocolate and put back in the oven for a few more minutes until chocolate melts.  Take out of the oven, and once it cools a little bit, spread the chocolate into a smooth layer.  (If you prefer, you could also wait until the caramel has cooled and then pour melted chocolate over top and spread it.)  Refrigerate and then crack into pieces and serve.
This is not the best photo - I cracked it before it had enough time to set in the fridge.  Still tastes awesome though.
The problem with Christmas baking is that I generally only make these recipes once a year.  So I forget the little things like exactly how long did I boil the sugar and how long did I bake it in the oven.  The recipe I posted above is the one I have in my cookbook, but when I sampled it just now it doesn't seem very hard, and the caramel is a little grainy.  I think I should have boiled it longer to smooth out the caramel mixture, and baked it a bit longer till it was bubbling in the oven (I seem to remember it bubbling last year, but this year there was no bubbling happening in the oven.)  It might need some extra time in the fridge to solidify too.  I just might have to make a second batch of this to confirm my theories!
Pin It!

No comments: