Thursday, February 2, 2012

Guinness Chocolate Cake

So my littlest man is just over 2 weeks old now, and according to the scale he weighs 1.5 lbs. less than he did at birth.  We aren't in panic mode (yet), but I figured it couldn't hurt to boost up my milk supply, and apparently Guinness beer is supposed to help with that.  I drank a little bit of it last night, and surprise surprise, I hate Guinness.  (I am not a beer drinker... I'm much more of a Mojito/Margarita/Sangria kinda gal.)  So if I can't drink it, I might as well bake with it!

CHOCOLATE GUINNESS CAKE (I halved this recipe from Ricardo)
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. butter
1 1/4 c. Guinness
1/2 c. cocoa (I only used 1/4 c. of Epicure cocoa)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 eggs
6 tbsp. Greek yogurt (I used black cherry Greek yogurt - original recipe just calls for sour cream)

Sift flour and baking soda together and set aside.  Melt butter with Guiness and cocoa and let it cool.  In a large bowl, combine sugars and salt, and gradually add cocoa mixture, eggs, and flour mixture.  Pour into a greased 8" or 9" pan and bake at 350 F for 35-45 minutes.

Top with icing (halved from this recipe in Chatelaine):
1 1/2 c. icing sugar
2-4 tbsp. cocoa
1/4 c. butter
2 1/2 tbsp. Guinness
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Sift together icing sugar and cocoa.  Cream butter.  Mix in half the icing sugar mixture (it will be crumbly) and then add Guinness and vanilla and continue beating.  Beat in remaining icing sugar mixture until smooth.
Not sure if it will make much of a difference to my milk supply, but let me tell you, that is one damn good chocolate cake!
Pin It!

No comments: