Sunday, March 29, 2009

The barbeque has come out of hibernation!

Tonight I made the Indian-Spiced Beef with Warm Curry Potato Salad (the salad was warmed up from the other day, and the steak was made fresh.) I used my Epicure spices instead of the ingredients listed in the original recipe, and it was so good! I nice twist on the usual barbequed steak. I'll definitely make this again!

INDIAN-SPICED BEEF
1 tbsp. Beef & Steak Seasoning
1 tbsp. Curry Dip Mix
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika (I think Chipotle Chili would be a nice substitute, if you like things spicier) 1/4 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (or Cinnamon & Nutmeg)
1 sirloin steak
Combine the spices and rub into the steak. Let it sit for 15 minutes at room temperature, then rub in some more if it's soaked in. Drizzle with olive oil and grill until it's done to your preference. Serve with Warm Curry Potato Salad.
I think the kids would have eaten this - it wasn't too strong or spicy - but I opted for something more "traditional" for them. I didn't have any barbeque sauce, so I mixed together 1/4 c. ketchup and 1 tbsp. French Onion Dip Mix and brushed it onto their steak. They gobbled it up, along with their scrumptious frozen broccoli that I lovingly microwaved for them.

For dessert, we're having some homemade pie, much to my son's dismay. (Apparently he's not a pie-person, so he had a bowl of cereal instead.)

BERRY RHUBARB PIE
2 c. saskatoons (next time I'd use an extra cup of berries)
2 c. rhubarb, chopped
6 tbsp. Summer Berry Fruit Dip Mix (or use plain sugar)
3 tbsp. flour
1 double pie crust

Simmer the fruit in a saucepan for 10 minutes. (Add a little water if you think it needs it.) Stir in fruit dip mix/sugar and flour, and put in a pie crust. Place another pie crust overtop, dampen the edges, and then pinch it closed. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for another 35-45 minutes.
Pin It!

3 comments:

MyTigerlilies said...

That Pie recipe sounds like something I could actually make (with a store bought crust of course!!) And the steak sounds awesome!!! :)

One more idea for your blog... would there be any way to mark our favorite recipes? Like a smiley face or something so I could remember recipes I would like to try??

Kathy Blais said...

Trust me, I definitely used a store-bought pie crust!!!

I'll see if there's a way to mark your favourite recipes.... good idea!

Kathy Blais said...

You can now rate the posts out of 5 stars, and you can also click on a little button that says "I want to try this!" I'm not sure if either of those will help you bookmark recipes that you want to make note of, but I hope it helps.