Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I am an idiot

I phoned my friend Shelley for her awesome Sticky Chicken recipe. It's so simple, but I always forget which measurement goes with which ingredient. Here's her recipe:

STICKY CHICKEN
1 c. ketchup
6 tbsp. soy sauce
6 tbsp. maple syrup

So I get off the phone with her, I have the recipe written down, and I decide I'll make a half-batch. I bought a tray of two fryer chickens, and wanted to put one in a freezer bag with the marinade, and use the other chicken for some yet-to-be-decided recipe tomorrow night. (My friend always does hers with boneless skinless chicken thighs, and bakes them on a tinfoil-covered baking sheet. They are to die for!) So I dump in 1/2 c. maple syrup and 3 tbsp. soy sauce..... and then I realize my mistake.

Thanks to Mrs. Harlton's highschool Algebra classes, this should be no problem.... except that my new proportions require 2 3/4 c. ketchup, and I'm a little short. Luckily, I found some maple-flavoured bbq sauce, so I used some of that as well.

I won't bother giving you my enlarged recipe, since I find that the original recipe is plenty big enough (and if you paid attention in Algebra class as well, you should be able to figure it out on your own anyway!) I ended up putting one chicken in the freezer with 1/2 the sauce, and the other chicken is marinating in the fridge until I cook it tomorrow night.

The moral of the story is: Pay attention in math class, because you actually will use that stuff in real life! Thanks Mrs. Harlton. (Update: Here are the pictures from tonight's supper. The kids loved it - as usual. I served it with roasted veggies, but I think rice would be best with this chicken so you can use more of the yummy sauce!)
Pin It!

No comments: