Monday, March 16, 2009

I'm pretty sure the kids won't eat this

Today on the lunch menu: Bean Salad with Mint and Chicken Strips. I know the kids won't eat this, but I certainly will. I didn't follow Cat Cora's recipe exactly, because I have an amazing bean salad recipe that my friend's mom gave me years ago, and it's the only one I like. I didn't have all the ingredients for it, so here's my modified version:

1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 c. frozen corn, cooked and rinsed with cold water
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/8 c. olive oil
2 tbsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard

I usually add red pepper, celery, garlic, hot sauce, a can of kidney beans, and a bit more red wine vinegar. It's such a pretty, colourful salad. My mom adds green beans to it, which I think are disgusting and it totally ruins the whole salad. Sorry Mom.

So here's the finished product, with some grilled chicken strips (marinated in lemon juice and served with some leftover tzaziki):
This was very tasty! I love anything with lemon and mint in it, and the tzaziki was a nice touch. I gave the kids chicken nuggets and corn for lunch, and put a little dish of bean salad next to their plates. They said it was yucky before they even tasted it, and after I made them pick out one bean to try, their hypothesis was confirmed. Oh well, more lemony-minty goodness for me.

Today I also tried the Frozen Yogurt Banana Pops and the Bacon & Egg Tortilla Wraps. I really liked the banana pops, but my daughter thought they were so-so (and my son won't touch yogurt with a 10 foot pole.) I sent the tortilla wrap for my daughter's lunch, so hopefully she likes it. I didn't make it the way the recipe suggests... I just cooked 2 egg whites in my handy-dandy microwave egg cooker, and put crumbled bacon and grated cheese in the tortilla. She loves all those ingredients, so I think it's safe to say she'll like it.

Tonight we're trying out out Greek Cinnamon Stewed Chicken. I've had bad luck with cinnamon-flavoured stews in the past, but I'm being adventurous this week, so I'll give it a whirl and tell you all about it later.
Pin It!

No comments: