Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spinach Salad Burgers

Tonight I took a few main ingredients (spinach, bacon, mushrooms, onions, wine) and created two recipes that will hopefully go well together. Here's how the logic played out in my head:

1. We have a freezer full of beef, so let's make burgers tonight.
2. I'm still in love with the supper from last night, so let's use more bacon tonight.
3. We have mozzarella cheese in our fridge from the pizza we made last week, so let's put that on top of the burgers with some mushrooms.
4. We better eat a salad as a side dish, to make up for the beef/bacon/cheese burger we will be consuming.
5. Spinach salad is very yummy with warm bacon dressing.
6. The kids won't eat salad.
7. I betcha I could hide spinach in their burgers.

So I made up these two recipes:

SPINACH SALAD WITH WARM BACON DRESSING
3 c. baby spinach leaves
1 tomato, chopped
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
4 thick slices of bacon
1/4 c. red onion, diced
1/4 c. white wine (I was going to use red, but this was all we had. After I poured it in, I thought beer would probably have been better. Or you could be less-of-a-lush and use apple juice.)
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. honey or sugar

Toss together spinach, tomato, and mushrooms. Cook bacon in a skillet and then crumble it over the salad. Drain almost all of the bacon fat from the skillet, lower the heat, and add onions. Cook for a couple minutes, stirring constantly so they don't stick to the bottom, and then pour in wine and deglaze the pan. Combine cornstarch with vinegar and dry mustard until smooth and add to the skillet. Bring to a gentle boil and let it thicken slightly. Stir in honey or sugar and mix well before pouring over salad. SPINACH AND BACON MOZZA MUSHROOM BURGERS
1 lb. ground beef
4 thick slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 c. baby spinach leaves, chopped
1 egg
1 tbsp. Beef & Steak Seasoning
mozzarella cheese
sautéed mushrooms and red onions (I added 1/4 c. white wine while they were cooking. Use whatever you used in the salad dressing.)
4 hamburger buns

Combine the beef, cooked bacon, spinach, egg, and seasoning. Form into 4 patties and cook in a skillet or on the barbeque. Top with sautéed mushrooms and onions and mozzarella cheese.
The kids didn't complain about the "green things" in their burger, and everything tasted awesome. Although it saddens me, I used up the last of the bacon tonight, so there will be no more bacon meals this week. My arteries are thankful, though my tastebuds weep.
Bacon on Foodista
Pin It!

No comments: