Monday, April 6, 2009

Yesterday was beer burgers, today it's wine chicken

A friend and I swapped some cookbooks over the weekend, and I found quite a few recipes in Rachael Ray's cookbook Just in Time! that involve some sort of liquor. We stocked up for the birthday party on the weekend, so I'm thinking this would be a good week to try them out!

Tonight's recipe is Balsamic Chicken with Pesto Gravy and Bitter Greens, which was apparently Rachael Ray's "first" recipe. It doesn't actually have any booze in the ingredients, but I fixed that in a jiffy... instead of 1 1/2 c. chicken broth, I used 1 c. chicken broth and 1/2 c. white wine. (Totally unnecessary, but it's a nice addition.)
I used romaine lettuce and served the salad on the side instead of on top of the chicken. I didn't put any cheese on it either, but otherwise I followed Rachael's recipe. If you have the Epicure Pesto Herbs, I mixed 2 tbsp. each of the herbs, olive oil, and parmesan cheese with 1 1/2 tbsp. pine nuts in a a food processor.

This meal was quick to make (it's supposed to be a 15-minute meal, and it was darn close... maybe 20 minutes) and it was very tasty. I served it with the potatoes I scooped out for Potato Skins on the weekend. The kids ate theirs without any of the pesto gravy, and with some steamed broccoli instead of salad. The gravy is delicious, but if you don't like pesto or don't have any, it would be fine without it.

I'm anxious to try out some more liquor-laced Rachael Ray recipes this week! This one was definitely a success.
Pin It!

No comments: