Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I just put all this in my crockpot, and I'm not sure if that was a good idea

I'm starting to get more creative. I'm starting to try out recipes that pop into my head, rather than adapting recipes that I've found elsewhere (although I still like doing that too.) I had the bright idea to buy parsnips today, and I thought I would put them in a beef stew. Then I thought they'd be good with apples. Then I remembered that I made a curry apple chicken years ago that was really good. It all sort of snowballed and I eventually dumped all this into my crockpot. Tomorrow evening we will see if my creation is edible. (Which reminds me, I should make sure we have bread and peanut butter, in case we need a back-up meal.)

APPLE PARSNIP BEEF STEW
2 lb. stewing beef, coated in flour
3 potatoes, cubed
2 leeks, sliced
3 parsnips, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
2 apples, sliced
1 can of beer (I would have used beef broth, but apparently the stuff in my fridge was quite outdated. It wasn't pretty when I poured it down the drain. I'm sure beer will do just fine.)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. Vegetable or Beef Bouillon Base
1 tsp. Smoked Spanish Paprika
1 tsp. Curry Dip Mix
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper, to taste

Toss the first 6 ingredients into crockpot and mix well. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour into crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours. Update: The bad news is that the beer, curry, apples, and parsnips really didn't make it taste any different than regular old beef stew, so it wasn't as exciting as I hoped it would be. The good news is that the beer, curry, apples, and parsnips really didn't make it taste any different than regular old beef stew, so the kids ate it all up without a single complaint.
Pin It!

No comments: