Monday, June 22, 2009

Rhubarb & Saskatoon Creations

I'm using up stuff from our freezer before we move, and last night I thawed out a bunch of rhubarb and saskatoons. I had a leftover square of puff pastry so I thought I would roll it out, put the fruit in the middle, sprinkle with sugar, and fold up the edges like a pie shell.
Bake it at 400 F for 20 minutes until crust is golden. (Another great idea would be to cut your puff pastry into smaller squares, and make little popovers.)
So now that dessert is made, what shall I do with the leftover rhubarb and saskatoons?

We're having chicken for supper, so I googled "rhubarb saskatoon chicken" and found this recipe for chutney. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, so I decreased the recipe and adapted it to my own tastes.

RHUBARB SASKATOON CHUTNEY
1/2 c. saskatoons
1/2 c. rhubarb, chopped
3 tbsp. raspberry vinegar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. onion, diced
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. ginger
dash of salt
dash of chili pepper flakes

Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, then drizzle over chicken or beef.It's actually pretty good! Now for the final product: grill your chicken, spread some chutney on top, and toss on some diced avocado.I'm telling you, it's DELICIOUS! The teeny bit of heat in the chutney is perfect with the sweet and tangy flavours. I'm so impressed with this - it totally could have bombed (and of course, if I had served it to the kids, it would have been disastrous!) But they enjoyed their grilled chicken with corn on the cob, and everyone was happy.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My search for saskatoon rhubarb chutney led me to your site, I would like to preserve/can some of this - would this recipe be suitable do you think?

Kathy Blais said...

I've never tried canning/preserving before, so I can't say for sure whether or not this recipe would be good for that. But it's a very good chutney, so hopefully it would work for canning. Good luck!

Kathy Blais said...

I've never tried canning/preserving before, so I can't say for sure whether or not this recipe would be good for that. But it's a very good chutney, so hopefully it would work for canning. Good luck!