Saturday, July 11, 2009

I'm still here!

Sorry it's been a while... and I don't even have a good recipe for you today. I am visiting my in-laws for a few weeks, and well, let's just say they aren't the greatest fans of my cooking. So rather than put them in an awkward position by forcing them to try something that is way beyond their comfort zone, I have resigned to letting my mother-in-law cook while I just sit and eat. (Don't get me wrong, she is a great cook. We just do things a little differently, and my father-in-law won't touch anything I make, so there's really no point in trying.)

The upside to all of this: I have been eating sucre à la crème about twice a week. I must get a recipe for that stuff. It's ridiculously good.

I did try out something new a couple days ago.... I tried making chicken burgers with some crushed up Doritos (1 lb. chicken, 1 egg, a bunch of crushed up chips). I didn't add any extra seasoning, because my in-laws would revolt, and I thought the Doritos would add a nice flavour anyway. I served it with guacamole on top (on my own burger, not on my in-laws', of course.) Unfortunately, the Doritos just sort of went soggy in the burgers and overall it was pretty bland. Not terrible, but not great. The guacamole was definitely an asset. (Too bad for my in-laws!!)

So I think I'll save my culinary creations for when I get home. And in the meantime, I'll enjoy the delicious Quebec strawberries, blueberries, and sugar pie. Life's not so bad.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Canada Calling said...

Hey thanks for the add on FB...You have a very interesting blog as well...Got any tips for a Newbie of Epicure Selections.I am hosting my 2nd party Tuesday night.
Thanks GLoria