Thursday, August 20, 2009

East Indian Feast!

We're having our first dinner party in the new house tonight!! How exciting! Well, it is for me at least... we actually have room for 6 adults to comfortably sit in our dining room and eat supper (or 8 adults if we get a couple extra chairs!) This is a huge step up from our old house where we crowded 4 adults around our kitchen table, and made the kids sit at a little table in the living room.

So I'm making my standard Indian recipe, Butter Chicken, along with a few others. The recipe for Chana Masala is just adapted from the side of the box that the spices came in:
CHANA MASALA
1 onion
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp. Chana Masala
3/4 tsp. salt
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook onions until they are golden brown. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, letting it simmer for 30-40 minutes.

The next couple recipes are from a friend's Facebook status, which lead me to the Dinner with Julie website. I am trying out Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi and homemade naan.
A slight problem arose when I made the naan. The dough was super goopy and when the instructions said to roll it out with a rolling pin, there was just no way that was gonna work. So I asked my friend if she had the same problem, and she said she didn't. I double checked my recipe, and that's when I spotted the typo. For some reason, when I printed it off the website, it appeared like this:

1. 1/2 c. warm water
2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 tsp. sugar
etc.

Notice the error?? I'm not sure why, but my printer turned the recipe into some sort of list (with only the first ingredient numbered), and I ended up putting triple the amount of water I should have. Oopsy. So I added more and more flour until it looked like a workable dough, and then I looked at the clock and realized I still had plenty of time to just whip up a new batch with the right proportions of ingredients. The new dough is rising right now, and I'll post pictures of it all later tonight. Right now I'm off to tidy up the house and brew some Chai Tea to get the house smelling right for our Indian feast!
Update: The Aloo Gobi was good, but it made a pretty huge batch so next time I would likely only make half. The naan was very good (once I got the right recipe), but we discovered that my new house has extremely poor ventilation in the kitchen. Frying them up in the frying pan resulted in ALOT of smoke throughout the entire house. Luckily this was one of the 8 nice days we've had this summer, so we opened up all the windows and doors to air the place out before we sat down to a lovely meal. Next time, I'll use my frying pan that has holes in it and go cook the naan on the barbeque. Or I'll get a fan installed above the stove. Which reminds me, I should go reconnect the smoke detector, now that I'm done cooking for the evening.
Pin It!

2 comments:

k-e-household said...

I lurve indian food so I had to comment!!
I can't believe you made naan yourself--or maybe I can believe it. Superstore brand makes a great one that is very authentic *I think at least.

PS, Superstore has a loose Masala chai now that is nothing like the Epicure stuff. It tries to be the same, but the epicure is WAAAY better. Mmmmm.

Kathy Blais said...

I can't believe I made it either. But my dinner guests assured me that it was worth all the smoke in the house... they really like it. And my friend who made it originally says that she just brushed butter on one side and milk on the other and she had no troubles. I still enjoy the Superstore naan though... the kids live for that stuff! They didn't like the homemade naan nearly as much.