Sunday, August 16, 2009

Purple Roast

A friend brought us over some garden beets the other day, and I must admit, I'm not usually a fan of beets. But I am nothing if not open to new ideas in the kitchen, and I'm especially anxious to introduce my kids to new foods. I hear they will make your pee pink, which is kinda cool no matter how old you are, so this could be fun.

PURPLE ROAST
1 roast (I used a 3 lb. round roast), seasoned with Beef & Steak Rub
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 potatoes, washed and quartered
2 red onions, cut into large pieces
5 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
6 beets, washed, trimmed, and wrapped in tinfoil
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. red wine

Place roast in roaster and drizzle with a little olive oil, turning to coat. Rub garlic on top and arrange vegetables around the roast. Drizzle with olive oil and red wine. Cover and bake at 325 F for approximately 1 1/2 hours (or until meat thermometer reads 160 F for medium.) Remove beets from tinfoil, peel and slice them, and then return them to the roaster. Transfer meat and veggies to another dish and place roaster on the stove over medium heat to make gravy. Stir in a handful of flour, some more red wine, and a little gravy browner (if you like -- my gravy was a nice purple colour until I put a little too much of the browner in.)
The kids (and grown-ups) all like their beets, although my children fought it just out of principle. This made a huge amount of food, so we'll have the same fight tomorrow. The roast was overcooked, but that's generally what happens when I cook a roast anyway, so I wasn't surprised. That's why the gravy is so important!!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Pam said...

yum, I love beets!!!

MyTigerlilies said...

We have tons of beets in our garden. My kids LOVE them. Let me know and I could come up with some recipes for you to try. My kids favorites are pickled beets.

Cudos to you for making your kids try new things. My kids must eat at least one bite of new "stuff" since I tell them how do you know you hate it if you don't try it!!! LOL *mean mom here*