Friday, August 14, 2009

Raw goodness

No need for an oven today! Here's what I made for lunch:

CHICKPEA SALAD
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, diced
1/4 c. red onion, diced
1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 c. feta, diced or crumbled
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper

Toss it all together and serve. This was inspired by a picture I saw in a magazine at the optometrist's office this week. Someone had ripped out the recipe, so I ripped out the picture and added what I thought was in it. It turned out really good!

And for supper, I made ceviche based on the recipe I found at Simply Recipes. I slightly adjusted some of the measurements, so here's what I did:

CEVICHE
1 lb. (3 filets approx.) snapper, cut into small pieces
1/4 red onion, diced
1 tomoato, diced
1 chili, thinly sliced (you could dice it up, but I left it in slices so I could pick it out later for the kids)
pinch of chili powder
1 tsp. sea salt
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime

Toss together in a glass baking dish and refrigerate for about 6 hours (apparently if you leave it any longer, the texture will change). After a couple hours, stir it well to coat the fish on all sides and continue letting it sit in the fridge. Just before serving, sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve in warm tortillas with shredded lettuce and sliced avocado.

Here's what it looked like before:
And here's after six hours in the fridge (you can't really tell from the picture, but the fish did change colour):
And here's the finished product:
This was good, although I think I prefer cooked fish tacos. It would take less time, and I'm not really a fan of the texture... it was a little rubbery. But I've never had ceviche before, so maybe that's exactly the way it's supposed to be. You never know until you try!
Pin It!

1 comment:

leean said...

I add couscous to my chickpea salad, and use all of the other ingredients that you listed.