Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cooking classes

I've started taking some cooking classes from our community association, and I thought I'd share a couple photos of the things we've made so far. (I'm going to check with the chef before I post his recipes on here, just to make sure he's okay with it.)

The first thing we made was a chicken breast stuffed with a mixture of onion, figs, and spinach. Then we baked it in a tomato cream sauce that had some garlic and ginger as well. It was delicious! I tried it at home a week later, and it turned out really well. I don't think it was a huge hit with my husband (and I didn't even attempt to feed it to the kids... I gave them an un-stuffed chicken breast with some of the sauce on it) but it was nice to try something new.
Last week we made soups... nothing difficult, just some nice fall flavours (carrot ginger and potato leek) and we swirled them in the bowl together with a homemade crouton in the middle. The soups were delicious though, and I'll definitely make them again.
And here's one more recipe for you. It's not from cooking class, just my standard chili recipe, but I used chicken breasts instead of ground beef. The kids hated it (they are opposed to things such as beans, mushrooms, and tomatoes, so it was bound to be disgusting in their eyes. I thought it was awesome, though.)

CHICKEN CHILI
2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can mushrooms, drained
2 large cans diced tomatoes (I didn't drain them, but I probably should have)
1 onion, diced
Any combination or all of the following: spinach leaves, broccoli, bell peppers, frozen corn
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper

Throw it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and grated cheddar cheese.

Tonight I'm making my standard Super Awesome Roast Beef, but I didn't have any Coke, so I'm using white wine instead. I'm also cooking the roast from frozen, since it just dawned on me at 10:30am that I had nothing planned for supper tonight, and no time to cook anything. I hope it turns out, or I just wasted a whole roast and a whole cup of white wine!

Pin It!

No comments: