Thursday, April 23, 2009

Roast Beef Dilema

There was a crisis at my friend Stéphanie's house last night. She had everything in her crockpot, ready to make a super awesome roast beef recipe:

SUPER AWESOME ROAST BEEF
1 c. Coke (not a whole can)
1 can mushroom soup
1 pkg. onion soup mix (or use 3 Onion or French Onion Dip Mixes)
salt, pepper, Beef & Steak Seasoning, garlic... whatever you like to put on your roast

Season your roast (or just toss it in the crockpot) and pour the mixture of Coke, soup, and onion soup mix overtop. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Then she discovered that all the Coke was gone! (Insert gasp) She only had Sprite and ginger ale. Luckily, she has a friend (me) who is on the computer far too late at night. I suggested wine, beer, beef broth, or ginger ale. (I didn't think a lemon-lime Sprite roast would be too tasty.) If you Google "ginger ale roast beef" there are quite a few pages that list this recipe:

GINGER ALE ROAST BEEF
2 c. ginger ale
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 pkg. brown gravy mix
1 roast
assorted veggies

I told her she could toss in a little Teriyaki Seasoning or plain ginger to give it an Asian-vibe, but I said there were no guarantees... this could turn out ugly, or it could be a culinary masterpiece. She ended up throwing together this little concoction:

1 c. ginger ale
1 c. beef broth
1 can mushroom soup
3 Onion Dip Mix
Oven Roast Seasoning
Teriyaki Seasoning
She said it didn't smell great, but I told her to take a picture and send it to me so I could post it on here. Here's the review she sent me (after making fun of me for asking her to take a picture!)

The roast tasted pretty much the same as usual. I think to add 1 cup of beef broth made the sauce too runny to my taste. Usually the sauce thickens during the cooking time, but not so much this time. I didn't taste the ginger from the ginger ale. Like you had mentioned to me, adding a bit of ginger would have been a good idea. I added the Teriyaki seasoning, but it didn't change the taste much. The only big change was the consistency of the sauce (because there was more liquid). So really, I did taste a slight change, but not overly big. It was still very good, like usual. Still prefer my sauce thicker though.

Thank you, Stéphanie, for sharing your supper with us!!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Stéphanie said...

I definatly learn to take nice food pictures like you do... but again, why would I take pictures of MY food? (I'm not Kitchen Kathy! and not as culinarely adventurous as you!) :-D