Monday, November 23, 2009

Beef Wellingtons

Tonight's supper was Beef Wellingtons, which I learned to make last week in cooking class. My version was slightly different (because I think pâté looks and smells like dog food), so I used Boursin cheese, and I also put a slice of prosciutto as well (which really did nothing for the meal, but it sounds fancy, and it gave me an excuse to snack on prosciutto while I was making supper.)

BEEF WELLINGTONS
beef tenderloin, cut into 4 pieces and seasoned with Beef & Steak Rub
1 pkg. puff pastry (2 squares, which will be cut in half to make 4 pieces)
4 slices of prosciutto
4 tbsp. Boursin cheese
3-4 scallions, finely chopped
5-6 mushrooms, finely chopped
butter
red wine

In a frying pan, heat some butter and sear the beef on both sides. Set aside. Add a couple tablespoons of red wine (or broth, or water, or some other alcohol) and deglaze the pan. Add some more butter and then add the mushrooms and scallions. Cook until the moisture is gone and they are soft.

Roll out a square of puff pastry and slice down the middle to make two rectangles. Lay a piece of prosciutto and some cheese at the bottom of each one.

Place a piece of beef tenderloin on top. Top with with the mushroom & scallion mixture.

Brush the edges of bottom half of the rectangle with water and fold over the pastry, pinching the edges closed. Cut two or three slices across the top to allow steam to escape.

Lay on a baking sheet and brush with egg. Bake at 450 F for 20 minutes (medium-rare) or 40 minutes (medium-well). (I think 30 minutes would have been just right, but I guess it depends on how long you sear it for in the first step.)

For some reason I can't upload the picture that shows you the inside of this tasty little treat, but if I can get it to work later I will add a picture of both the medium-rare and the medium-well.

These were yummy, but very rich and filling.... I could only eat half of one. The kids hated the asparagus, but they liked the wellingtons. I didn't put any mushrooms & scallions in theirs, partly because I knew they wouldn't like it, and partly because I totally forgot to add it before I sealed up the first two that I made. Overall though, it was a success!

Pin It!

No comments: