Friday, February 5, 2010

Bobotie

My daughter got a Children's World Cookbook for Christmas, and I finally decided to try one of the recipes in there. It sounded interesting, to say the least: South African Bobotie is a mixture of meat, bread, eggs, curry, onions, and dried fruit. Mmmm???

BOBOTIE
2 slices of bread, cut into pieces
2 c. milk (divided)
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb. ground beef
1-2 tsp. Curry Dip Mix
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. lemon juice
salt & pepper
1/4 c. dried fruit (it called for apricots, but I used Cherries & Berries)
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. flaked almonds (I didn't use any)
2 eggs

Soak the bread in 1 c. milk. Melt some butter in a pan and cook the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft. Add ground beef and brown it, then drain off the fat. Combine curry, chili powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix into the meat. Stir in bread (with the milk), fruit and almonds. Pour into a greased baking dish. Whisk together eggs and 1 c. milk, and pour overtop of the meat mixture. Bake at 350 F for about 1 hour. Serve with rice (I added some curry powder and ginger to my rice.) Some recipes say to serve it with chutney as well.
This actually wasn't half bad! It was like a meatloaf, and the fruit actually went quite well with the curry/chili flavour (which wasn't very strong at all.) With the exception of my son (who hates most things I make), the whole family ate this without any complaints!
Pin It!

No comments: