Monday, March 8, 2010

BBQ Beef with Rootbeer Sauce

My friend Jacqui sent me a recipe for Pulled Pork in the crockpot, with a rootbeer chili sauce. It sounded delicious, but since I still have a whole lot of cow in my freezer (we bought 1/4 cow last year, and apparently we don't eat that much beef) I thought I'd try it out with a beef roast instead. I made a few slight changes to the recipe, so here's my version:

BBQ BEEF WITH ROOTBEER SAUCE
2 1/2 - 3 lb. roast (I used a round roast)
oil
1 c. rootbeer
2 onions, sliced
3 c. rootbeer
1 c. chili sauce
buns
Season roast with Beef & Steak seasoning, and heat oil in a frying pan. Sear roast on all sides (just a few seconds on each side) then place in the crockpot with 1 c. rootbeer and onion slices. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. During last 30-45 minutes, bring 3 c. rootbeer and chili sauce to a boil in a saucepan, and simmer on medium heat until reduced to about 2 or 2 1/2 cups. Remove roast and onions from crockpot and discard liquid. Using two forks, tear apart the roast and put it back in the crockpot with the onions. Pour rootbeer chili sauce overtop and turn crockpot on high for the last half hour. Scoop onto buns and serve.
These were crazy good. I wish we had leftovers today so I could eat them again, but we polished off the whole crockpot full of beef! (There were 4 adults and 2 kids eating.) You could serve it with lettuce and tomato if you like (I didn't have any), and I think next time I might add some mushrooms into the crockpot as well. I think Coke would be fine instead of Rootbeer as well. Overall, this was a very tasty meal that everyone enjoyed.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Sook said...

wow, rootbeer sauce, what a fantastic idea!