Sunday, March 28, 2010

Food Revolution #2

Tonight we tried another couple recipes from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. These were pretty easy to make, and tasted wonderful!

SIZZLING BEEF WITH SCALLIONS & BLACK BEAN SAUCE (I doubled most of the recipe, so here's my version)
1 c. basmati rice, prepared according to directions
1 lb. sirloin steak, cubed
1 tsp. ginger paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
4 green onions, sliced
1 handful cilantro (stems chopped, and leaves set aside for garnish)
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. vegetable oil (plus more for stir-frying)
4 tbsp. black bean sauce
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 lime
1 egg

In a large bowl, combine ginger, garlic, jalapeno, green onoins, cilantro stems, oils, and beef. (I let it marinate while I made the carrot salad listed below.) Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat, and add beef mixture, moving things around often so they don't burn. Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add black bean sauce, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, and the juice of 1 lime. Continue stir-frying for a couple more minutes, then transfer to a bowl and cover with tinfoil to keep warm. Add a bit more oil to the wok and add crack the egg in. Add 1 tbsp. soy sauce and scramble the egg. When it's cooked, stir in the cooked rice, scraping the bottom of the wok. Spoon rice onto a plate and top with beef and sauce. Garnish with cilantro (which I forgot to do.)

4 large carrots, peeled and grated
1 handful cilantro leaves
1 handful mint leaves
salt & pepper
6 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1-2 tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
2 clementines, segmented
1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
Toss everything together and serve.

This meal was awesome. The meat was tender (for once I didn't over cook it!), and the salad was light and fresh. In the recipe it suggested adding some soy sauce to the rice at the end, which I did, and I found it was too much. But otherwise it was delicious, and the whole family seemed to like it. (The kids didn't eat the salad though, but it really is yummy!) I should have doubled the rice as well, but we usually end up with leftover rice (which I hate), so I didn't bother. Now we have leftover meat instead, and nothing to eat it with. Actually, I have a head of lettuce in the fridge, and I bet this would be fabulous in some sort of lettuce-wrap. Voila - lunch is served for tomorrow!

Pin It!

No comments: