Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bud Light Lime and Seafood for supper

Many of you know how fond I am of cooking with booze. It makes me feel classy, even though it really proves the exact opposite.

Tonight's meal is brought to you by Bud Light Lime. It was the only beer we had in the fridge, so I figured it would do the trick for some Beer-Battered Tilapia and some Beer-Steamed Mussels.

BEER-BATTERED TILAPIA
3 tilapia fillets
about 2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp. oil
salt & pepper

Batter:
2 egg yolks
1/2 c. Bud Light Lime
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
salt

Combine lime juice, parsley, oil, salt & pepper and pour over the tilapia fillets. Mix together the batter ingredients and coat the fillets on all sides. Heat some cooking oil in a fying pan and cook the fish for about 4-5 minutes per side.
BEER-STEAMED MUSSELS
mussels, rinsed under cold water
1/2 c. Bud Light Lime
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1 slice of onion, diced

Put everything in a pot and heat on the stove over high heat for about 5-7 minutes, until mussels open up. Discard any that didn't open up.
I'll be honest with you - this meal was bland. Mediocre at best. My son loved the fish, which tells you exactly how bland it must have been. It needed some lime zest or something to give it a lot more flavour. The mussels were fine, but of course the kids didn't eat those. It certainly wasn't a horrible meal by any means, but I wouldn't rush out and make it again. Next time I'll stick with my favourite tilapia recipe instead.
Pin It!

No comments: