Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pad Thai

My husband got a french cookbook for children a few weeks ago, and when I was making up our grocery list I told him to pick a recipe in there to try out. He decided on Pad Thai, and made it with the kids last week. I had my doubts, but it was actually very good (even if it didn't make it to the table until 6:45pm!) So much for a quick and easy recipe. But don't blame the recipe - I think in the hands of anyone except my dear husband, this meal would take roughly 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake.

PAD THAI (this is a double batch of the version in the cookbook)
500 g rice noodles (the flat ones that look like linguine)
1 c. ketchup
1 c. water
4 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. soya sauce
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. ground coriander
a few drops of sesame oil
Garnishes:
cooked shrimp and/or chicken
1 green onion, sliced
bean sprouts
crushed peanuts

Pour boiling water over the noodles and let them sit for 7-10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together remaining ingredients (except garnishes.) Drain noodles and add them to the sauce, mixing well. Pour into a glass baking dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Serve on a plate and let people add the garnishes they like.
This really was quite impressive, considering:
  • it was from a children's cookbook
  • it used ketchup
  • my husband made it

I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised. I might just have to let this man cook more often!

Pin It!

No comments: