Monday, June 14, 2010

Maple Chicken with Watermelon Cucumber Salsa

I was sort of at a loss for supper ideas tonight. I thawed out some chicken, but had no idea what to do with it. I contemplated slathering it in barbeque sauce and tossing it on the grill, but that seemed like too much work (I was already in the kitchen, it was already a mess, and it just made sense to stay there and make supper.)

The kids had eaten cucumber and watermelon for snack this afternoon, so it was still out on the counter. I decided to make a little salsa with some fresh mint from my herb garden (which currently only consists of cilantro and mint, since my basil decided to perish.) Super simple: about 1/4 c. each of diced watermelon and cucumber, and a few leaves of mint, finely chopped.

Then I wondered what kind of chicken would go well with this condiment. It needed to be something light and fresh, so I opted for a mixture of lemon juice and maple syrup (1 tbsp. lemon juice and 3 tbsp. maple syrup). I pounded the chicken breasts flat, brushed them with the maple lemon goodness, and grilled them in my grill pan for about 4-5 minutes per side (I'm guessing at the time, it could have been a little more or less, sorry for the inaccuracy of this recipe!) I sprinkled some freshly ground pepper on our chicken breasts, but not on the kids' since that might have caused problems.
As a side dish, we had some sweet potato fries with curry mayo (slice a sweet potato into large french fry pieces, and drizzle with oil on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes, turning once.)
For the kids, I sliced up cucumber and watermelon and put it next to their chicken (not mixed together, just one pile of chicken, one pile of cucumber, and one pile of watermelon.) They didn't have any sweet potato fries, but I am really tired today so I couldn't care less.

Anyway, this was a nice light meal, and with the exception of the mayo, I think it was pretty darn healthy! Everyone ate, no one whined, and hopefully the family is cleaning up the dishes right now while I sit in the basement and type!
Pin It!

No comments: