Sunday, July 18, 2010

This is why I don't bake

I don't normally watch a lot of cooking shows, but yesterday I caught an episode of "The French Chef" with Julia Child. She made a jelly roll, and I remember my mom always made jelly rolls when I was a kid. I thought it would be fun to make one myself, despite my frequent mishaps when it comes to baking.

(FYI- when Julia Child was making the jelly roll, she said that you should sprinkle liqueur over the cake before spreading the jelly. She said if you leave out the liqueur it's just "kiddy food" but if you add it, it turns into "real human food". I think Julia and I would have been great friends.)

I remember seeing a recipe for an icecream roll that sounded delicious. It was from Donna at My Tasty Treasures, but I can't seem to find the actual recipe for you. Anyway, I figured I would just make Julia Child's genoise cake recipe for the jelly roll, spread some peppermint icecream on it, roll it up, and put it in the freezer. I tried to find her recipe on Google, and ended up using this version (although I only cooked it for about 15 minutes.)

I somehow screwed up the cake recipe, in a big way. It was tough and chewy, and it broke into pieces when I rolled it. So essentially I ended up with a few long rectangles of chewy cake layered with icecream that never really froze properly, so it oozed out and soaked into the cake and all over the plate.

Both my daughter and I couldn't finish eating our portions. It was pretty bad. I'm not sure what the key is to making a good jelly roll, but I sure as hell don't have it!
Pin It!

No comments: