Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epicure's Jambalaya

This was the third time I've tried out one of Epicure's new "What's For Dinner?" packets - this time it was the Jambalaya. As with the Tortilla Soup and Pulled Pork recipes, this one was perfect! I bought a tray of chicken thighs and a tray of Italian sausage and a bag of shrimp - I only needed half of each, so I cut everything up into the right sizes and put half into a freezer bag so that I'm ready to make Jambalaya in the future. (I put the chicken and sausage in individual sandwich bags, and then put those bags in a larger freezer bag with the shrimp.) I ended up using 4 1/2 chicken thighs, 2 1/2 sausages, and about 1 c. shrimp. Simply brown the chicken and sausage with a little salt & pepper on them, add some rice (I used basmati) and stir in a can of diced tomatoes and water along with the seasoning packet. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then add the shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes. It's that easy!
This had just the right amount of spice - the kids thought it was a little spicy, but not so bad that they complained or wouldn't eat it. We had enough for two meals, so it makes quite a large batch. I'm looking forward to trying out the other "What's For Dinner?" meals to see how they turn out!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Pam said...

This looks delicious, now I am craving jambalaya. Yum.