Wednesday, January 12, 2011

One-Pot Fish Dish

My sister kindly signed me up for a subscription to Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" magazine, and each issue has a meal plan so I thought I'd start off 2011 with one big grocery list and all the ingredients to make a week's worth of meals (actually, I picked out 9 recipes to make, so I was really starting out with a bang!)

I haven't made it all the way through my list yet, but I think I'm scrapping some of the fritattas I had planned (because I really wasn't a big fan of the first one I tried, so I doubt the other flavour combinations will be any better!) It might take me a while to get all the recipes posted, but I had to share tonight's with you because it was so easy and SO GOOD!

SPICE-RUBBED FISH WITH LEMONY RICE
Coriander Spice Mix
1 tbsp. ground coriander
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. coarse salt (I found the fish a little salty, so I would use less salt next time)
3/8 tsp. cumin
3/8 tsp. pepper

1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. basmati rice
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (original recipe called for zucchini, but I don't like zucchini and I had half a red pepper in my fridge to use up. I think it was a huge improvement to the recipe!)
salt & pepper, to taste
4 white fish filets (I used basa)

Heat some butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes, until onion is soft. Add rice and cook for 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients (except for the fish) and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 13 minutes. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the fish filets (just on one side). Arange fish snugly in a single layer on top of the rice, spice side up, and put the lid back on. Cook for another 6-9 minutes until fish is opaque.
This was perfect! One dish, no mess, and it took less than 30 minutes from start to finish. And everyone liked it, which is always a bonus!
Pin It!

No comments: