Saturday, March 12, 2011

There's a first time for everything!

My husband is a wonderful person, but in 13 years together, I have never seen him bake.  Not once.  I've seen him make pasta, poutine, and in the last couple years he has learned to make sweet potato fries and a brunch casserole that my Grandma Fraser now refers to as "Dominic's Casserole".  He can also make toast.

So when he informed me that he wanted to make a cake with our son for his birthday party, I had my doubts.  He saw this kid-friendly recipe on Ricardo when he was in Montreal last week, and decided it would be fun to make with the kids.  If you can understand French, here is a link to the video.

Dominic doubled the recipe and made it in a 9x13" baking dish.  Everything gets mixed right in the baking dish so you don't have lots of extra dishes to do.  (It's also an egg-less recipe for anyone who has egg allergies.)  Here is the doubled version:

KID-FRIENDLY CHOCOLATE CAKE (from Ricardo)
3 c. flour
1 1/1 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. canola oil
2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. water

Grease the baking dish with butter.  In order, add the dry ingredients into the baking dish and stir to combine.  Pour in the wet ingredients and mix everything together with a fork.  Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
William seems quite happy with his Montreal Canadiens Lego Ninja Woody cake.

Stop and take a minute to marvel at my cake decorating skills.  Don't you wish I was your mother?


Pin It!

No comments: