Friday, May 13, 2011

Epicure Enchiladas with Turkey & Refried Beans

Sorry I haven't had many new recipes for you lately.  After a somewhat expensive weekend in Las Vegas, I decided to make some economical meals that would allow me to use up stuff in my freezer/pantry and have enough leftovers to feed us for days.  I made a turkey on Monday and then used some of the leftovers to make these delicious enchiladas, which gave me the opportunity to try out two of the new seasonings from Epicure (Refried Beans and Enchilada Sauce).  I'm happy to say that they turned out really well!  (And we still have a lot of leftover turkey, so I might have to make more enchiladas!)

TURKEY & REFRIED BEAN ENCHILADAS
1 can (540 ml) kidney beans, drained and puréed/mashed
2/3 c. water
1 pkg. Refried Beans Mix
2 c. leftover turkey, diced
Taco seasoning
salt
grated cheese
5 tortillas
1 1/4 c. water
1 pkg. Enchilada Sauce Mix
more grated cheese

Simmer first three ingredients in a frying pan until heated through.  Add turkey, Taco seasoning, and salt.  Scoop some of the mixture into each tortilla, top with grated cheese, roll them up and lay them seam-side down in a baking dish.  Pour Enchilada Sauce Mix into water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Pour over enchiladas and top with more cheese.  Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.  Top with green onions before serving.
I really loved the refried beans - they were far less gelatinous than the canned refried beans you get from the store.  "Less gelatinous" is always a good thing, unless you're making jello.

I thought the kids would revolt at the sight of bean-filled tortillas smothered in sauce, but they ate them without any complaints.  Even William!  (He did scoop out some of the filling, but he didn't it without whining, and he ate the majority of it, so I think after those few months of horrible supper times with him, I have finally broken him!)

So this week we've eaten turkey dinners, turkey enchiladas, and turkey soup.... and we still have a small roaster filled with leftover turkey.  Remind me never to cook a whole turkey again unless we have company, because clearly our little family can't eat it all!  (But damn the house smelled good on Monday night when that turkey was roasting!!!)
Pin It!

No comments: