Friday, September 30, 2011

Fish Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce & Pico de Gallo

I have made fish tacos before, but I always use grilled fish and last week I saw a recipe for fried fish tacos on Chuck's Day Off on the Food Network.  He had some delicious condiments to go with the tacos, so I bookmarked it right away and made it this week.

FISH TACOS WITH AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE & PICO DE GALLO
450 g. white fish
1 c. flour
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 beer (I used a lime beer)
oil

Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, egg, and beer to make batter.  Dip fish in batter and then fry in oil.  (I used a frying pan with about 1" of oil in it.)  I halved the recipe for the beer batter, and there was plenty to cover all the fish.  Serve on a tortilla with avocado lime sauce and pico de gallo (recipes below) as well as shredded lettuce.
These were YUMMY (although I wish my kids at more than just the tortilla and fish!)  They don't know what they were missing, though, because that avocado sauce was fantastic, and the pico de gallo is so awesome.  I ate half the bowl before we even had supper.  It's such a fresh, healthy snack or condiment for your meal.  It's time consuming to dice up all the ingredients, but that's the only skill required to make this stuff, and believe me, it's so delicious.

AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE (this is half the recipe that Chuck Hughes used, and it was more than enough for us.  In fact you could probably even half it again if you wanted.)
2 avocados
1 c. sour creamjuice and zest of 1/2 lime
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
a few leaves of cilantro, chopped (maybe 1 tbsp. all together)
salt & pepper

Combine ingredients in a food processor until smooth, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

PICO DE GALLO
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 garlic cloved, minced
1/2 onion, diced
juice of 1 limecilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pin It!

No comments: