Thursday, February 2, 2012

Québécois Pea Soup

My mom's friend brought us over an awesome meal of ham, scalloped potatoes, broccoli salad, asparagus, and homemade cookies last week.  I am normally not a fan of ham soup, but this ham bone was just staring at me, and I figured it would be a waste not to use it.  Seeing as my husband is from Quebec, I thought I would make some traditional Pea Soup.  I personally hate pea soup (or so I thought), but I knew he liked it and it seemed simple enough, so I gave it a shot.

QUÉBÉCOIS PEA SOUP (adapated from this recipe)
1 leftover ham bone (with some meat still on the bone)
2 tbsp. butter
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 3/4 c. dried yellow split peas
2 bay leaves
pepper (don't add any salt - there is enough salt from the ham already)
8 c. water
2 small potatoes, diced

In a large pot, heat butter over medium heat and cook celery, carrots, onion, and garlic for about 15 minutes or until soft.  Add split peas, bay leaves, and pepper.  Cook for 2 minutes, then pour in water and add potatoes.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, simmering for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Discard bay leaves and remove ham bone.  Once it's cool, remove all the meat from the bone and shred into small pieces.  Purée the soup and then add in the pieces of ham.
Someone may have even said it was better than his grandma's.... but I don't want to get anyone into trouble!
This soup was delicious and filling, and it was so inexpensive and easy to make as well, which is an added bonus!  The whole family loved it.
Pin It!

No comments: