Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Pasta

Easter holidays have arrived! We're going to my mom's house for supper tonight, but my husband doesn't eat meat on Good Friday, so I think I'm going to make up a batch of this pasta for him to eat. The recipe is from Rachael Ray's cookbook Just in Time!, and yes, it has booze in it. I don't have any smoked salmon (although my husband loves the stuff, so he might go out and get some today), but I think this recipe would be great with shrimp or scallops, or even as a vegetarian dish. I made a few adjustments to Rachael's recipe, and came up with this:

GOOD FRIDAY PASTA (Rachael Ray calls it "Scotch Salmon with Farfalle")
1 lb. cooked pasta (it's supposed to be bow-tie, but I like angel hair better)
2 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped (shallots would be nice, but I don't have any)
1 c. frozen bell peppers
2-3 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. rye
2 c. vegetable stock
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 c. whipping cream
1/4 c. sun-dried tomato pesto (I'm making my own: 1 1/2 tbsp. Pesto Herbs, 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsp. parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp. pine nuts in a food processor, then stir in 3 chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil)
1/2 c. frozen peas
1/2 lb. thinly sliced smoked salmon (optional, or use other seafood)

In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Cook onions and bell peppers till soft, then add flour and cook for another minute. Whisk in rye, then add stock and season with salt and pepper. Let it thicken for 2-3 minutes, then stir in cream and bring to a gentle boil. Once it has thickened slightly, stir in pesto, veggies, and salmon and let it heat through for another minute (longer if you're using raw shrimp or scallops.) Serve over angel hair pasta.
Pin It!

6 comments:

gluten free pammy said...

the pasta looks good!

Kathy Blais said...

It was pretty tasty! The alcohol really adds nothing to the flavour, but otherwise it was a great recipe.

Donna-FFW said...

This dish looks fantastic,. I enjoy RRrecipes, found you on Madelines blog, first time here, you have a great blog. Nice to meet you.

Kathy Blais said...

Thank you Donna!! Nice to "meet" you too!!

Billie said...

Another newbie here, looks delicious. I'll have to try this.

Kathy Blais said...

Welcome Billie!