Sunday, June 7, 2009

Huevos Mexicanos

I've been a terrible blogger lately. But to be honest, I've been a terrible cook lately, so there's been nothing to blog about!! We decided to buy a new house, so this past week has been a little stressful, and I haven't bothered to come up with any exciting recipes. We went out for pasta one night, had leftover pasta the next night, ate hotdogs and corn on the cob another night, and then ate Sticky Chicken and corn on the cob for a couple nights. Tonight's meal isn't a whole lot more exciting, but I thought I better blog about it so you don't wonder if I've dropped off the face of the earth!

We were going to make scrambled eggs and toast for supper (see, I told you I've been stressed out!) and then I thought I'd adapt this recipe for Three Cheese Quiche and make a Mexican version.

HEUVOS MEXICANOS
6 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. salsa (I used salsa verde)
1 tbsp. Pueblo Bean Dip Mix
2 soft tortillas
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
tortilla chips
fresh cilantro, chopped

Mix together eggs, milk, salsa, and Pueblo Bean Dip Mix. Lay two soft tortillas in a glass pie dish to form a crust. Sprinkle green onion and grated cheese over the bottom and pour egg mixture over top. Lay tortilla chips on top and bake at 400 F for 45 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. (My cilantro was frozen, so it looks like pathetic little pieces of wilted spinach. Fresh cilantro would be much prettier.)
This turned out okay... nothing earth-shattering (like the original recipe... I'm telling you, bacon makes a world of difference!) but it was alright. Chances are we'll be eating alot of meals like this until our house sells, so my apologies if Kathy's Kitchen is a little slow lately.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

These sound wonderful. Id love some with a cup of java!

Kathy Blais said...

Thanks Donna! I think regular salsa might have given them more flavour than the salsa verde, or some diced up jalapeno. But if I did that, the kids wouldn't have eaten them!!